Tuesday 22 May 2012

Nomads' Nicknames

If anyone is puzzled by a mention of "Mr Profundus" in the Caribbean Mix match report, I can tell them that this is the pet name given by Nomads captain Emil Todorow to our popular medium pace bowler Andrew West.  Todorow claims that it is the Latin word for "profound" and that is used with mild irony, but I am not 100% sure on either of these points.  I have checked on Google and there are a dozen or so "Mr Profundusses" (or Mr Profundi) but I detect only admiration for them.  Several other current and recent Nomads players have nicknames;

Emil Todorow - The Buller, The Bear, Mushy
John Crossland - The Creature,  Crozland
Nick Lefebve - The Ancient One,  The Wall (? the Walrus),
Mark Bradshaw - Marky, (has been referred to on E.Exiles' website as Bradders)
Gopi Pala - Speedy
Hassan Khan - Gopi used to call him "Hasimbhai"
Jim Joyce - Mister St Tropez
John Chance - Benny
Joe Chance - The Kipper
Amin - Mr Six
Shailesh Bhatia - Baha

I will reveal some other, older ones in due course and also attempt to explain some of these bizarre titles.  Also, if anyone can think of any others, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment